In 2014, the Department of Health made a decision to withdraw central funding for NHSmail SMS and fax services from 1st October 2015. This means that from this date, trusts will need to ensure there is provision in place to use an alternative SMS provider to ensure that messages are still delivered to patients, unless their CCG has already made provision.
According to a business case document prepared by NHS England and the Department of Health, responsibility for providing SMS services will “cease to be a central concern” from 31 March, 2015. “After this health and care organisations must procure and fund their own service.”
SMS is considered a “Core IT service” for patients, who receive text messages for a range of purposes such as appointment reminders, test results and specialist information to those who have requested it, for example malaria information to patients travelling to high-risk zones.
Telecoms Cloud is already the provider of choice for many NHS trusts who rely on our SecureFax™ service for their daily operations whilst also increasing efficiency, enhancing security and dramatically reducing costs and wastage. With all our services available via 256-bit encrypted secure web portal as well as a REST API, we would urge all trusts who have not yet made provision for either their Fax or SMS services, or any who would like to receive a better service at lower cost, to get in touch to explore how we can help.
There are many reasons to choose Telecoms Cloud, namely:
- We’re already the provider of choice for many NHS trusts and CCGs
- Secure, 256-bit encrypted services accessible via web portal or REST API
- Telecoms Cloud is run by a team of expert engineers with over 20 years’ experience of telecoms, web and IT, who have designed and built our services and infrastructure to meet the specific needs of the NHS and other healthcare organisations, constantly evolving and improving based on requests and feedback from existing customers
- ISO9001 certified company, with all data originating inside the EU kept inside the EU in ISO27001 and PCI DSS compliant data centre facilities
- SS7 connections into all the UK network operators, and SMS deliverability to over 800 mobile networks worldwide
To learn more about our Fax and SMS services, please review the following links and do not hesitate to get in touch to discuss your requirements.
- YouTube; sending SMS text messages via API: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl0HdR0nntY
- YouTube; receiving faxes via API: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HmXExy0-_U
Telephone: 0333 220 5000
Customers of Telecoms Cloud enjoy a reliable service protected by SLA, made possible by a high-performance and redundant IP network backed up by a total upstream connectivity of over 10Gbps provided by six different Tier 1 providers (Level3, Deutsche Telekom, Interoute, PCCW-BTN, Telia and Tiscali) and a further 6Gbps of connectivity to LINX, LoNAP, SFINX, DEC-IX & AMS-IX. The core (non-telephony) infrastructure which powers the Telecoms Cloud is contained in multiple energy-efficient data centres around the EU, with a PUE of 1.35, all of which hold full ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 27001, OHSAS 18001 and PCI/DSS compliance, and fully comply with the EU code of conduct for data centres.